Daily GUIDE-ance:

Friday, January 7, 2011

Proposed Constitutional Amendment:

Take away from Congress the power to spend specific dollar amounts of $$. Instead they can only spend in terms of percentages of the yearly national budget.

In other words, Congressman Shmunchlover can no longer claim: “I fought to give $5 billion (of your) dollars to...(some high minded holy sounding bunghole project)”- Instead, he can only claim “I increased the percentage of our budget spent on blahblahfagityschma” This is good. Part of the reason the government spends so much is because spending other people's money is a cheap way for a Congressman to look good when they haven't done anything clever, ever.

After the congress has worked up their yearly budget based purely on percentages, the President has the responsibility of announcing how large that budget will be. This is the only time that anybody gets to name an actual $$ figure. This is good, because the bigger it is the bigger a jackleg the President will look like.

This system, I think, would really work. Thoughts?

The only problem is that a provision has to be made for emergencies, such as war and natural disaster. We can mandate that part of the yearly budget must be for disaster prep, but the nature of emergencies is that they are unpredictable. Someone will have to have the ability to declare a special ‘emergency’ tax, but there needs to be a strong check to keep that from evolving into a ‘Everyday is an Emergency’ deal. I’ll think on how to fix this…

3 comments:

Renae said...

I like it! I want to hear them say "We will be spend 5 percent on our gay snooty parties and another 5 percent on sending the president's wife on expensive vacations and such like that."

timpani76 said...

I think we should just take away from congress the ability to deficit spend. It would force them to save for emergencies, like the rest of us have to do.

Eyepoke said...

Bah. I had forgotten that this thing was going to publish itself! I wrote this out in rough draft form months ago and sort of forgot about it. I cant remeber why I put a 'post on' date on it. have to read it later and see what its all about.