Daily GUIDE-ance:

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Quamillion

I do try to not post dumb stuff about how awesome my kids are on here, because I am bored to tears by that sort of thing. But I think I am about to anyway...

Tonight Jonni wanted to know what -1 + -1 came out to. She had several opinions, including one, supposedly from her teacher, that said it would be zero. So I told her the answer and then went on sort of an explanation of how great I am at math and told her about all the math classes I did in college and how awesome I was at it, partly to brag and partly to prove that my opinion was of more value than her teacher's was in these matters. I convinced her easily.

The end result of this conversation was that Jonni wanted to know what Calculus was. And she went to our book shelf and took out my Calculus book and started leafing through it. I tried, but in the end, I told her I couldn't think of anyway to explain what Calculus was until she knew Algebra.

And it turns out I don't own an algebra textbook. How wrong is that?!

So we evolved into a conversation about algebra while I was making dinner, and she really wanted me to give her some basic algebra problems to work on... so I did. First, I introduced the concept of a variable to her, by telling her that in algebra you had to make up a name for a number so that you could talk about it and think about it, while you tried to work out the number's real name. Normally, I said, they use X for that, but since you are using that for the times sign, X might be too confusing, so why not use J (our favorite) for now? Or, I added, not wanting to limit her, make up any name you want, if you want.

She wanted, and so she thought for a while and decided to use the word "Quamillion" for her unknown number's placeholder name, and to represent it with the letter "Q".

I really don't push her into this stuff, she just asks and I talk. It flows. Anyhow. I'm not sure what the point of this story is, but I'm going to bed now. There is it. Gnight all.

12 comments:

rbcp said...

People posting about their dumb boring kids is never fun to read about, but your kids are awesome (I met them, so I know this!) so I hereby give you permission to rant about the awesomeness of your kids as much as you want. I know you were looking for my approval on that.

Renae said...

Sorry that I have absolutely no life outside of my kids. It's horribly true, but I really have not much going on outside of kids, music, running and church. That's my ENTIRE life. There is no room for anything else. What to talk about? Music... well I LOVE it like you LOVE math. But I would sound like a snotty idiot and I would probably bore the pants off of you if I blogged all about how I analyze music in my spare time and how absolutely I geek out over it all, and how I'm so obsessed that I just want to crawl inside of my music and live there. So what then? Running? Who cares! Church? I guess, but also boring and a little too close to my heart. So that leaves me with my kids. (I am not offended by your comments though, this is all in good humor!)

You must be about bursting with fatherly pride at your 7 year old wanting to learn calculus! Honestly I don't even know what calculus is. At this point in my life, I don't really care either. Does that make my character loathsome to you?

How is Liz BTW? Can I help out in anyway? I'd be happy to be used! Do your kids want to come to our house for the weekend?

Renae said...

plip

timpani76 said...

NO, I'M SORRY THIS IS NOT ALLOWED! QQ HAS ALREADY CLAIMED THE "Q" AS HER LETTER! OH, I'M SORRY WAS THAT ANOTHER BORING STORY ABOUT MY KIDS?????

Eyepoke said...

You make an excellent point, Brad, I must say. I suppose, in a case like mine or yours, the occasional commentary on one's offspring is only natural and socially engaging as well. Thank you for putting it so astutely.

I so rely on you, old man, for clear commonsense thinking such as this.

Hoba Chi said...

I accidentally introduced Vance to negatives and that has been quite a kick for him.

Bruce said...

did any one else notice that i was not included in my wifes list of what makes up her "ENTIRE life."

timpani76 said...

Bruce- now that you point it out, that's pretty frickin hilarious ;)

Renae said...

Everyone knows that Bruce is included in the kid category. Okay, I'm a horrible person! I have no time for my husband. whateverlasdkjf;laij

Eyepoke said...

It wouldn't matter if you did have time for all those people, and accomplished all the things you dream that you are responsible for. You'd STILL be a horrible person. bahahahahahahahah!

lily said...

thanks for your sharing! great helpful!!!Louboutin Shoes Christian Louboutin ShoesChristian Louboutin Pumps Wedding Dress ShopsWedding Dress ShopsChristian Louboutin Boots Christian Louboutin PumpsChristian Louboutin Heels Christian Louboutin SandalPigalle Christian Louboutin fur bootschristian louboutin fur bootslouboutin pumpslouboutin fur bootscoyote fur bootschristian louboutin heelssilver strappy sandalschristian louboutin toundraloubitan studded bow peepvintage wedding dresses wedding dressescheap mobile phoneWedding Dresses 2011Wedding Dress ShopsOff the Shoulder Wedding Dressesbridal jacketswedding jacketsbridal jacketshalter neck wedding dressesoff the shoulder wedding dressesvintage wedding dresseswedding dresses with sleeveswedding jackets for the brideSorry for the bother, God bless you.

Habeib Khan said...

Lols Gag is the the Best Lol Network Ever, where you can every thing is lol and Funny, Troll Images, Funny Vidoes, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Epic Videos, Prank Videos, Fail Videos and Much More Fun and Entertainment, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Lol Videos, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
lolsgag.com