Daily GUIDE-ance:

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Things I Don't Get: Part 3: Smoking

I could pretty much just stop with the title. I'm not here to point out the obvious.

When I was a kid about a million years ago, they had only just started putting those labels on cigarettes :"Warning: You will die." In highschool there were kids that smoked... they were kind of a clique. The jocks, the skaters, the geeks, the cheerleaders and the scumbags. It wasn't an insult, just kind of a moniquer. I think that back then it was less obvious that smoking was ignert. (Moniquer, ignert. what else can I spell?) Shoot, back then we all thought fag was an okay word, so clearly, what did we know? We said fag 100x more than we said the word internet ! Because there was no internet! (WoW! That's so wierd.) There were even successful adults that smoked back then.

But nowadays (I love being a wrinkled crabby old man!) smoking has gone so deeply out of style, that when I see a younger person smoking, I usually laugh a little bit. Because, it's like the shark said to the wounded penguin as it tried to swim away: "Come on!! Pleeease. Who exactly is it that you think you are fooling?" (Also, because I am a jerk that way, no question about it. It's all funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's HILARIOUS!).

Like I said, I think we can give a pass to old people (like older than me...) who smoke. They probably thought it was good for them when they started. But below a certain age... Sorry. I think we have to laugh at you.

Disclaimer: I wrote this in the middle of the night, under the influence of not sleeping, so if you have been personally insulted by this just be glad I didn't start in on my really cruel material like... like I have been writing and deleting for 10 minutes now because it's just that mean... nevermind.

7 comments:

Brad Carter said...

Guess I'll have to try my best to refrain from smoking at the City Museum today. Please go easy on me if I do.

timpani76 said...

All my southern relatives smoke. I think they shoot you if you are not smoking or using "chew" by 10 years old in the south. I tried smoking when I was 12 years old (with my southern cousins). Fortunately, this is when I discovered that smoking makes my nose bleed like a faucet. One time it would not stop for an hour, and it scared me enough to "give up" the smoking thing.

Renae said...

Ha ha!

timpani76 said...

ps why are you not sleeping? Seriously, I'm counting on all my friends to get more sleep than me in case there is a natural disaster or something. Someone has to be on the ball right now and it just can't be me with the up all night nursing and all!

Bruce said...

renae smokes. cause she is hot!

Eyepoke said...

I dunno why I am not sleeping.

Eyepoke said...

Its wierd and all.