Daily GUIDE-ance:

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Business Trip (gaghack!)

"-the Boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time amidst muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes; to which detestable pounding and piping dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic Ultimate gods, the blind, voiceless, tenebrous, mindless Other gods whose soul and messenger is the crawling chaos Nyarlathotep."

Last night I was stuck for about 2 hours in a stupid Washington DC airport, tired, bored, irritable and I started reading a wierd HP Lovecraft book (The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath) in the quietest corner I could find, which was not very quiet at all. I read the above in the first chapter.

The airport, with it's annoying array of timezones and stiff with the essence of pure waiting did indeed seem to consist of chambers beyond time. The unavoidable yet almost inaudible TVs with thier stupid commercials and theme music and the PA with its babble and everybody on cellphones... I truly was amidst muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes. To this detestable pounding and piping the slow, awkward and absurd business people and news shows danced while the blind, mindless Tv celebs conveyed their messages of crawling chaos.

Airports are a Lovecraftian Hell. A small black stray kitten would have been most welcome company. Glad to be home

5 comments:

Renae said...

Well, I haven't read the rest of this post (I will momentarily) but that first paragraph is the longest sentence in the whole world!!

Renae said...

good analogy!

Renae said...

Lydia says "WHAT?!"

timpani76 said...

I definitely hate airports, and I'm glad I've been able to avoid flying since 9/11.

So, you are saying cats are better company than a TV or a person on a cell phone? The last comment confused me a little.

Eyepoke said...

Sorry Timp, that cat thing was an inside joke that only those of us who are down with HPL would get.