Daily GUIDE-ance:

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pleasure to Burn

Like, 5 or 6 years ago, when I had my finger on the pulse of cigarette advertisement trends (worked in a gas station) one of the foxy name brands- I think it was Camel- came out with a campaign where their cigarette packs all came with these kind of lame, retro 50's looking models, all with some slight nod to the present. One was a guy decked out to look like James Dean only he had a pager clipped to his belt. (yeah. I know. a pager? still pretty retro, really). Another was this dame in a poodle skirt serving up fastfood at a drive up, wearing roller blades.

Anyway, the tag line that appeared in red, flashy, slick lettering as the caption of each of these was: "Pleasure To Burn!"

A double reference, no doubt, meaning 1- lots and lots of pleasure and 2-burning camel brand cigarettes in your mouth.

What struck me then was: "Uhhh... I guess they don't get it? The Farenheit 451 reference?"

Opening line of Ray Bradbury's novel about a future where books are burned and thinking strongly discouraged:

It was a pleasure to burn.

It was a special pleasure to see things eaten, to see things blackened and changed. With the brass nozzle in his fists, with this great python spitting it's venomous kerosene upon the world...

3 comments:

Jess Newell said...

I've read part of Farenheit 451. it was pretty good. don't remember why I didnt finish it. I don't think very many people can come up with a phrase like that, maybe they did steal it from the book.

timpani76 said...

I forgot about that part of the book, since other parts stuck out more to me. Do you think they deliberately ripped it off? Or was it more a play on the phrase "they had money to burn"?

Renae said...

It would be a pleasure to burn your butt.