Daily GUIDE-ance:

Saturday, April 18, 2009

I've been obsessed with other things lately, that's all. The blogosphere is out of phase right now.

I went to an MTG tournament with my two brothers a while back. I haven't been deep into Magic since I moved away 4 or so years back and had no one to play with, but there was a time when my obsession with that game made my chess enthusiasm look like a passing yawn. There were about 14 people in this tournament and after 4 years away from the game I took second place, partly at least because the organizers didn't know much about "tournament theory". (I have spent a totally ridiculous portion of my life studying the structure of tournaments in a statistical way (for example) and know more than it is healthy, probably) But even so, second place was a great ego boost. And also ressurected some of the same obssesive instincts.

But the best thing about the tournament was the extreme geekosphere it was held in. It was like out of a movie, only more. The acne ridden teens playing D+D loudly next door, the heavy glasses, the guys with pony tails, the kid with the T-shirt : "Shirt of Invisibilty +2", the witches, the general level of social unconciousness, the fat people... it was great. Half a lifetime ago I blended into this environment a bit better... But the environment hasn't changed much. And the thing about these folks- it doesn't take much for them to like you. I felt slightly oldish going in (although I was not the oldest guy there) - (I made a joke to the owner of the shop about did I need to fill out the parental approval part of the Wizards of the Coast entry form- but he seemed to misunderstand and think that either I was or was trying to pass myself off as Trent's dad)- but it only took a few minutes for me to feel basically at home.

13 comments:

Renae said...

"..holy cow, I'm white and nerdy!"

Brad Carter said...

Seems like just about every friend I've ever had has been into D&D, Magic, Star Trek, Chess and other nerdy things like that. But for some reason I can never get into any of that myself, even though I think it's interesting and I would like to. I fail at being a geek.

lizS said...

don't sell yourself short brad! you are the ultra geek!

Brad Carter said...

Wow thanks Liz!

Anonymous said...

I remember once in JR high being terribly jealous when somebody called you (and David Hoffman, if memory serves) a geek, but said that I was only a nerd.

J

Brad Carter said...

I should have stood up for you then and let them know that you're a much bigger geek than me. I was a bad friend.

Hoba Chi said...

We determined yesterday- at a D & D game no less- that one friend had completed the triumvirate of nerdity: video games, D & D and comics. He's 35 or 36. (He is the ultimate stealth nerd though by balancing with shooting and fishing, so he will never be pasty white.)

Eyepoke said...

Hmmm... That leaves out the whole "tech/science" side of nerdhood though...

Cassi : ) said...

Ha Ha! You hit the nail on the head with the descriptions, Dallas and I went to BlizzCon (for Blizzard Entertainment) last year, I'm pretty sure I saw all the same people from your tournament! Dallas and his buddies used to play Magic, but now it's all about the WoW.

timpani76 said...

The bad thing about being a female geek/nerd is that we're vastly outnumbered by the males. I walked around GENCON (D&D role playing game convention) with a bunch of guys (including Erik), and Erik & I's friend Heather. When Heather and I went off alone there must have been 20-30 nerds not so subtly stalking us through the convention hall.

Kind of flattering, but creepy at the same time ;). This was not at all helped by the fact that Heather was decked out in full elf costume (and she's hot, yeah that helped too).

Eyepoke said...

When I was about 18 I went to a gaming convention with some friends. I girl I did not know from anyone tried to start a conversation with me, but all she was wearing from the waist up was a plate mail bra and it was so very distracting that I couldn't really talk effectively. Not that I didn't try, but I was a very innocent lad and the nueral path from brain to mouth was shorted out. I dont remember anything she said, but I really think all I managed was, seriously: "duuuuh...".

After about three attempts by her at communication she gave up and went back to her friends. I wonder if she thought I was a snob or a moron?

timpani76 said...

Oh sorry, my friend is also in IT. Does that cover the tech part?
(Posted by Erik, too lazy to sign on as myself.)

timpani76 said...

Heather's elf outfit was totally G rated ;) It even had long sleeves and leggings.

Everytime Erik goes to GENCON he always comes back with a dozen pictures of the convention girls dressed like uuuuhh pirates? chain mailed poster girls? wenchy wenches? I think they are all hilarious!