Daily GUIDE-ance:

Sunday, March 1, 2009

What I have been up to lately?

Oh various. A number of roadtrips to fix stuff at my other house, and a better road trip with the Moose to visit an old old friend, Chris J LaBoube. I've know CJL almost as long as I have known Brad.

That was fun. Moose and I had 16 hours or so in a truck together so we talked over everything. Where to move to when the system finally gets around to crashing, Barak Obama's lack of manhood, marriage, religon, science, ugly women, hot women, work, and why are there so many naked girl bars between here and Kansas? (I assume those were all bars for watching naked girls in, not bars where naked girls go to socialize?)

So that was all to the good. The Moose and I go back.

We got to Kansas, and found my old kindergarten buddy has somehow become a Lutheran pastor of all things, in timbuknowhere Kansas. So criusing around town trying to humiliate the new pastor was a fun game. (with in reasonable bounds, naturally)

Chris is seriously isolated. 1/2 miles to the next human being, he's a single man living by himself in a huge house with his own private church, rec building and cemetary! The conflicts that must raise for him! Total isolation. Tons of space. A cemetary for the love! And you are the new pastor in town. On his first pastoring gig too. I'm saying... the instinct for me is to throw a huge crazy party, build a giant fire, run aroud screaming all the time for no reason. Run around the cemetary in your underwear. Ring the church bell alot. Sleep in the chapel. Because nobody will care. Furthermore as pastor you must be to some degree your own boss. If you stay up till 4 am, sleep in, big deal. And I know Chris fairly well. All this has crossed his mind, for sure.

But you are the pastor. It's gotta be rough, I am sure.

We had fun with CJL. We went to his church in the morning. The people all assumed that Moose and I must be pastors also. They all really seem to like Chris, which means he must be doing something right.

I have been wasting some internet time on a religious debate site lately. These people tend to be pretty hyper. It's hard to say who is more high strung, the atheists or the Christians. But I like talking and thinking on the deep schtuff, and I enjoy asking myself the hard questions.

Fish. It's bedtime. bye!

11 comments:

timpani76 said...

You enjoy asking your self hard questions like "and why are there so many naked girl bars between here and Kansas?" and "I assume those were all bars for watching naked girls in, not bars where naked girls go to socialize?"

I know when I decide to get naked, I always go to a bar where I know there will be a bunch of other naked girls, and then we all have pillow fights and paint each others nails. Embarrassed yet? Good, cause so was I on reading this part of your post ;)

Renae said...

I was SOOOOOOOO bloody jealous that I didn't get to go on that trip! I was stuck at home chaperoning a slumber party, and you guys are resurecting the old gang without me. CJL is a good guy.

Eyepoke said...

I think it'd be a good idea to start a naked girl bar, and then when some fat sweaty dirty minded guy tried to get in, have the bouncers throw him out on the grounds that he wasn't a naked girl.

"We don't serve your kind here!"

Bruce said...

i thought renae was going to say she was jealous that she didnt get to socialize at the naked girl bar. it was fun correcting the paster on scripture screw-ups during sunday school. and J, you realize we would have to throw our selves out of our own bar on those grounds. i wish we could have got some one to take the kids and had renae come with us. she could have said she was cjl's x and told horible stories.

timpani76 said...

I can't believe Chris is a pastor! He just seems to goofy or funny or something to give sermons. Does he have another job, or does the church pay enough to support him?

He lives all alone? We need to get Chris a wife! Poor guy, that's not good for you to be alone too much. Although, I would probably pay someone for alone time since having kids. Too much not alone time can't be good either!

Anonymous said...

Chris is a full time preacher.

J

Anonymous said...

I think he's heard the wife thing ad nauseum by now. BTW, he lurks on this web page, somewhat, I know. (U there Chris?)

J

Your Favorite, and Mine - Mary said...

If you threw guys out, you'd have a class action civil rights violation suit on your hands, because it is discrimination to allow one kind of person into a club and not another kind. (On the other hand, if it were a white guy, he might be out of luck since discrimination against white men is now the law of the land...)

Your Favorite, and Mine - Mary said...

"I'm a little acorn nut, sitting on a coconut, everybody steps on me, that is why I'm cracked you see, I'm a nut, I'm a nut, I'm craaaaaaazy.

Called myself on the telephone, just to hear that golden tone, asked myself out on a date, got a date, half past eight, I'm a nut, I'm a nut, I'm craaaaaaazy.

Took myself to the picture show, asked for a kiss and I said 'no,' put my arms around my waist, I got fresh so I slapped my face. I'm a nut, I'm a nut, I'm craaaaaazy."

Chris said...

Johnny-- I finally got to check your website, and read the wonderfully amusing things you said about your trip out here to rural, north-central KS. Yep, I do live in the country, 2 miles to Greenleaf (pop. 325), and wonderfully kind, generous, hospitable people in the church. I am so happy that you and Bruce came to visit. It was sad that Renae couldn't make it. Maybe next time, eh?

Dana Cheryl said...

I love that my friends go crusing with a Pastor. How many people say they've done that? In Kansas no less. You know that a person's truly devoted to the Lord when they heed the call to go to Kansas!

MC you are a nut! lol.