Daily GUIDE-ance:

Friday, March 13, 2009

Scroll Down, Yidiot!

I'm addicted to finding music on the net, clearly. I rarely listen to music anywhere but on the computer when I am at home anymore. I love the instant gratification. When I was a kid, if you heard a bit of a song you liked and wanted to hear it again you had to park in front of the radio and just wait and hope for hours. It made it exciting when the song finally happened to come on the air, but I much prefer just being able to go online and be listening to the tune in seconds. The internet is going to be the death of radio. Which is good. I think it has got to be good for musicians too. It is surely more easy to get your music discovered with the net than it used to be. And if we impoverish Britnet Spears in the process, that's great too.

Scroll down and check out the new collections of music I have posted. In addition to the basic rock and roll list that you all can't get enough of, I have also added a seperate playlist of instrumental movie soundtracks, and another of more mellow country-ish semi-churchish songs that I like to play on a Sunday night, when I am feeling all mellow and vaguely churchy.

Mary the Cranky is just yesterday's news, clearly! She's not just history, she's paleontology!

Hey, do you all remeber in the 80's when radio still existed, there was a toy you could buy that was essentially just a microphone that would let you broad cast on a very limited range (like maybe from your bedroom to your living room) on normal radio station wavelengths? The idea was you could "be on the radio". What I want is something like that for my computer- I want to plug that toy into my computer speakers, turn on music on my pc, and then tune my boombox into that music while I am in the shower or in the yard or the basement or garage etc. Anybody heard of such a thing?

11 comments:

Brad Carter said...

I remember the fun I had with that particular toy in the 80's! There are a lot of those in stores these days, usually for under $20. You're most likely to find them in the section where Ipod accessories are sold. People hook them to their Ipods so they can listen to their Ipod on their car radios. Be sure to get one that plugs into the headphone jack, not one that plugs into the Ipod dock connector. And you may have to search for awhile to find one that doesn't plug into a car's cigarette lighter. You might have to settle for one that runs on AA batteries.

I love all the independent music I've found on the net these past few years. Listening to podcasts exposes you to a lot of that since the RIAA likes to threaten legal action against podcasters who use commercial music. Lemon Demon (the Ultimate Showdown guy) is one of my favorites. You should look up his other music. He's done a lot of amazing stuff. And he's a good example of the internet leveling the playing field between commercial music and independent music. Apparently he makes quite a comfortable living from selling his music online.

Eyepoke said...

THanks for the tip brad. I shall investigate further!

Mary said...

There's a device like that for iPod so that you can listen to your iPod through your car stereo. I bet it would work in the house too if you tried. It's a little finicky and you have to have an iPod to use it, but I don't know that there isn't something similar that can be used for something else.

Mary said...

Oh yeah, and your blog has so much crap coming out of it that it overloads and knocks my Firefox out of commission, so I have to use my stupid Safari if I want to come to your blog. Not seeming any cooler to me now...in fact, it just makes your blog that much more irritating.

Eyepoke said...

Wimp. My pitiful computer from the late Jurrassic has no trouble with it. You are just jealous.

Renae said...

I'll have to give your playlists a listen sometime. I think I'll like the bottom one particularly, and probably the green one also. Sheesh! You do have a lot of them playlists!

Anonymous said...

Im totally loving the movie soundtracks one, renae. You should check it out!

J

timpani76 said...

I did notice some tunes stolen from Mary's playlist ;)

My playlist is on my myspace page, because the songs did not really seem to fit with the kids blog.

Oooh! You should get Liz to make a really upbeat playlist for the Svelte blog that you can workout too!

Anonymous said...

Mary... Have you been Cranky lately?

J

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

Huh?