Daily GUIDE-ance:

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Three thoughts

Meat! It's a funny word. It means dead flesh. But it's on my grocery list.

Wouldn't it be funny if you took your PC to a tech place to get it fixed and the guy behind the counter just whipped out a ball peen hammer and smacked it (the PC) real hard in front of your face? I'd laugh. Well, I'm laughing now anyway.

Last thing:

Presidential elections should be this way: (I literally dreamed this up while asleep last night, so it has to be good):

We should get rid of the electoral college and do it by a huge popular vote. BUT, there should be two winners. 1st place and second place. They don't actually get to be president yet, though. What happens next is, we have another election, only this time there are only two candidates on the ballot- the first and second place guy. And the winner of that is president.

It's actually a darn good idea. It'd give your third party type guys a real chance, and yet they wouldn't be wrecking the process by dividing the vote in a Ross Perotish way.

We should try it out on a governorship or so first, to get all the bugs worked out- maybe start even smaller- a mayorship or so- but seriously this is a Jefferson level stroke of smartness. whaddaya think?

4 comments:

timpani76 said...

That would actually make it more like a true democracy as opposed to a representative democracy.

I think Jefferson would have disapproved since he and the founding fathers made the electoral system so that the common man could not screw up the whole nation. Did you know that land owners (gentry) used to be the only ones allowed to vote (unless you made a certain amount of income or owned taxable livestock)? The founding fathers also thought this was a good idea, so maybe your idea would not be looked on with approval by them.

Hoba Chi said...

I am against the popular vote and then run off vote also. Mok suggested using the voting districts that are already in place. Instead of getting the state, you get a district. That would give Illinois a better shot and a real vote.

Your Favorite, and Mine - Mary said...

That's true Erik, anyone who actually thought that their vote counted in Illinois before 2 months ago must have been totally shocked when they discovered that all this time Illinois politics was a actually a racket. That's one thing I DO like about Georgia. I know that my representative actually represents me. I have already sent emails to my congressmen asking them not to vote in favor of FOCA, and they have told me they were already voting my direction. I have a feeling it will be the same with this stimulus package. Not one 'Pub voted for that thing, and 10 Dems voted against it. Even our CONGRESSMEN know this is a bad idea.

Your Favorite, and Mine - Mary said...

Actually, my congressman, Phil Gingrey was an OB/GYN for 25 years, and ran a pro-life practice. Cool, huh?