Daily GUIDE-ance:

Monday, December 29, 2008

Rock Band

So over the weekend I was exposed to that gaming sensation that’s sweeping the nation known as Rock Band. Only I didn’t like it. Bruce says its because I have a superiority complex, and I only like things that I am good at. (yeah pass the chainsaw, I think I am going to cut me a nice, thick slab of IRONY.) Liz thinks its because I was having a fight with her at the time and hated everything anyway.

The main (only) point of the game is to press the right button out of a choice of five at the right time. The right time has something to do with the music that the game is playing at the time. There is no opportunity to do anything clever or creative- its just a matter of pushing the buttons that the game says you must, when it says you must.

The only thing that makes it a Rock Band is that the buttons you are supposed to press are on a controller that is shaped like a guitar, (or a drum set.) Other than that, its alot like that electronic game from the 80's called Simon. (As in Simon Says. It was round and had four colored buttons that beeped, and Brad tried to pass his off as an alien spacecraft)

All my friends love this game. I don’t get it. Maybe I do have kinks in my soul. I’ll try it again mebbe. I also think Wii is retarded though. Did no one in marketing ever figure out that Wii is almost spelled the same as WWII?

8 comments:

Brad Carter said...

It's a lot like Dance Dance Revolution too. Just stepping on the right squares to the music. But it still doesn't make you a good dancer, just like Rock Band doesn't make you a good guitar or drum player. In the long run, your time would be much better spent learning how to play a real guitar.

Even though I'm not a fan of those games, I'm impressed when I watch people who are really good at it. I've seen people go insanely fast at it, and you have to admit that it takes a lot of skill to do that. But in the end, they're still just pushing useless buttons that don't actually make music.

We need to hang out someday and not play Rock Band, John!

timpani76 said...

It reminded me of Tetris, which I used to love in high school, so I could see the draw. Plus, if you're a dude, you look like you can play righteous air guitar.

Brad Carter said...

Eh, guess I play a few pointless games too. In fact, I guess all "games" are pointless really.

Everyone should just buy a Simon instead. That'd sure be a lot less cheaper, even if the selection of music wasn't quite as good.

Eyepoke said...

I thought about comparing it to Tetris, but it would be Tetris where you didn't have any choice about where to put all the little blocks... and how pointless is that?

I dont think games are by definition pointless. When kids play, it is actually preparing for real life skills... My thoery is that adults play for similiar reasons.

Eyepoke said...

Yeah and its like DDR, only with the dance part taken out- how pointless is that?

Renae said...

Well I think it's a fun game, even if it is pointless. The only bad part is that most of the songs on Rock Band are totally not my style, and I can't stand many of them at all. The point is to be entertained. Chess I find totally unentertaining. Chess is BORING work. I have other things that I like to do when I want to work. When I want to be entertained, Rock Band is a good time. You still watch movies, do you not. That is nothing but pointless entertainment.

Eyepoke said...

Lemme rephrase:

Tetris with no choices would be unentertaining.

DDR with no dancing wouldn't be much fun either.

I just dont get it- what do you like about it?

BTW, I dont think you are an idiot for liking it, I just don't get it.

The Marinator said...

I didn't know you hated the Wii. I wouldn't have let you play if I knew you were not having fun. :(