Daily GUIDE-ance:

Thursday, November 13, 2008

You may or may not have noticed my flobbering attempted at creating a Thankgiving themed playlist... The only thing I really am pleased with is the Boston version of the Star spangled banner. I wish somebody would come along and do for some of the classic patriotic hymns what Trans-Siberian Orchestra did to classic Christmas songs. I really like The Battle Hymn of the Republic- just not the version I was able to find below so much... I mean its ok for maybe church (church church church), but probably not really for battle.

I also really like Come Come Ye Saints... But a more rugged version would be swell. Those two songs- Battle Hymn and Come Come Ye Saints-- two opposite chapters of history paralleled and contrasted there. While most of America was doing the Civil War, half of my American ancestors were at thier ease and nicely exempt from the war, hiding out in the deep west, having a shot at building thier Utopia, glad that the US government was picking on itself for once instead of chasing them off thier land yet again.

Has anybody seen the John Adams miniseries that came out a year or so ago? I got disc one from Netflix the other day, but haven't started it. This weekend mebbe. Hope its good.

Is there anyone who hasn't watched Ken Burn's Civil War miniseries yet? Any library should have it. Watched it for the first time like 7 years ago- loved it. Reccomend it. And you feel so darn smart watching it. Smug even. "Look at me- I'm watching something deeply moving and intelectual! What are you doing? Eating twinkies? oooooo a LOOOOSER!"

6 comments:

Renae said...

Something Horrifyingly Offensive

Hoba Chi said...

I'm a history buff, but Civil War stuff makes me want to stab my eyes out. The reason why Thanksgiving songs are not popular, is that by Thanksgiving, everyone is already singing Christmas songs. Just be thankful Christmas does not overshadow Halloween, YET!

Bruce said...

its weird, i hear you calling your self smart and i keep having the chorus of "white and nerdy" going through my head.

timpani76 said...

Ooops again! That was Timpani not Erik!

Eyepoke said...

I thought about putting "Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden up for part of the Thanksgiving playlist...

Dana Cheryl said...

I'd never thought about the fact that the mormons where in a way exempt from the Civil War. Interesting. Some members of my family are still fighting it. lol.

I guess that's why folks out here in UT refered to KY, TN, MS, GA, etc... as the East. They don't quite understand the very distinct boundry between North and South.