Daily GUIDE-ance:

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Flannel

I can remember exactly where and when I was when I decided I liked flannels. Battle Mountain, Nevada. August or September 1996. I had been wearing a white shirt and tie everyday for closing in on a year and a half, like 60 hours a week easy, every week. The weather was fallish. Our neighbor was out raking leaves. He looked so comfortable and at peace with the universe, so utterly carefree and simple. Something of a contrast to the intense, supermonk lifestyle I was in the middle of. He was wearing a flannel. and walmart jeans.



When I'd wrapped up my sidewalk preacher days and thrown away some rather ratty white shirts and slacks, and gotten some even rattier jeans instead- and tennis shoes- it was 1997. I was a college student, and flannels, untucked and unbuttoned, as part of a sort of grunge/pearl jam look was still just barely in vogue. This I embraced. I was sort of seeing this girl who was what you might call "troubled" (married her). I still had my missionary trench coat, and of course she owned a trench coat as well-- I mean, how could you look like you were potentially going to go shoot up a high school with out a trench coat?-- We used to enjoy wearing our boots, trenchcoats and backwards ball caps together.



Whether has turned fallish again. Today I broke out my fannel. Makes me happy.

13 comments:

Dana Cheryl said...

Do you have a lumberjack name? :)

Anonymous said...

Sven? Ulli? Bjorn?

I think I deserve compliments today for the most hideous insult in a while, BTW.

J

timpani76 said...

I vote for Abe or Thor.

I'm appalled at your sexist insult. You will now have to formulate a porcupine insult that applies to both sexes lest I declare you a misogynist ;)

Renae said...

I vote Bevens. "Oooh Bevens, and I thought you were so rugged!"

The Marynator said...

And you look quite comfortable too. Except - only old men wear their shirts tucked in.

And you're right - giving birth to a porcupine breach would be horrific. I wonder is real porcupines ever have a problem with that?

The Marynator said...

is = if

Anonymous said...

I must protest at the ludicris allegation that the insult : "May you give birth to a breach porcupine" is some how a sexist insult, on the rather obvious grounds that it is just as impossible for a man to give birth to a porcupine as it is for a woman to. I think this sort of thing illustrates the spirit of absurdity and perpetual offendedness that infects the entire feminist movement.

J
>;)

Hoba Chi said...

I will vote for Thor also, as a lumberjack name, not for a deity name as John needs know ego-boosting. :)

Timpani, no fairness doctrine garbage here! If you don't like the single genderedness of the insult, come up with a plucky one of your own I say!

I wear my shirts tucked in Mary. Am I old? ;)

timpani76 said...

Wow, you guys both responded to my joke about sexism. Makes you wonder who's REALLY offended most of the time.

It's me, I'm always offended ;)

Bruce said...

yes e, you are old. im old, johns old we are all old. think back to when you where young, and remeber what you thought about people who where over 30. OLD! flannel is nice though. and you should just have a nick name as your lumber jack name. like q-ball, or shorty.

Brad Carter said...

Man, I'm SO much more hardcore than you. I was wearing flannel the very same year that Smells Like Teen Spirit was released. I've already moved on to the phase in my life where I walk around the house in nothing but underwear.

Eyepoke said...

OOOOOOH I hate those people!! All that really makes you, Brad, is a hardcore follower! I myself wisely kept my mullet until at least 1994! I think my mullet out-lived Kurt Cobain. Not that that's saying much.

Eyepoke said...

BTW who wears underwear these days?