Daily GUIDE-ance:

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Surfing Wikipedia

I've been at my new job for three weeks and so far what with this and that I have been getting paid reasonably well to do very little.

This would not bother me much- ok be honest- it would be great!-- except that the new job's Internet filters are the most anal I've ever seen, so my surfing options have been extremely limited. (I can barely convince it to let me peek at the blogs once a day.)

So this leads me to have spent the last couple weeks doing what is probably one of the top five on the list of "Dumb things I have gotten paid to do." (Some where after throwing rocks and racing RC cars). I have been surfing Wikipedia.

Thought I'd share some of the things I have learned:

Alan Shepard, the first American in space, before blasting off on his historic mission prayed what is now known as The Shepard's Prayer :"Dear God, please don't let me f*** up"

Several of the 12 men who have been to the moon were quite religious- one later led several failed expeditions to try to find Noah's ark. Another one of them thought he was psychic. This same astronaut stated that a"cabal of insiders" inside the US Government were studying recovered alien bodies, and that this group had stopped briefing US Presidents after John F. Kennedy. He also said, that "We all know that UFOs are real, now the question is, where they come from." (weirdo)

Its possible to have a cross of an antelope and cow. You can also cross a mouse and guinea pig, and a guinea pig and rabbit. The Russian dude who did all this also tried to cross humans and chimpanzees, but circumstances kept him from really getting a good shot it. Part of me is disappointed.

There is a European Buffalo .

The town of Forks, Washington now celebrates an annual Stephanie Meyer day.

Oh yeah and I almost forgot about the Humster!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who'da thought?

11 comments:

timpani76 said...

Stephenie Meyers (she spells her first name funny). It makes it much harder to find her books on the library website, that's how I know.

The stuff about the European buffalo was interesting. Wisent is a wussy name, though. You know that wikepedia sometimes does not check their sources? I could not use them as a source for a history paper, for example.

Maybe Kennedy was assassinated because he knew too much about UFOs?

Renae said...

Obama's parent's apparently got the chance to cross a chimp and a human.

pie-seas79 said...

I'm kinda obsessed with the whole Twilight series right now. I have read all three in the past three days. I just can't stop. When is Stephenie Meyers day?

Anonymous said...

LOOK IT UP ON WIKIPEDIA YOU LAZY SOB!

j

Dana Cheryl said...

Is anyone else kinda freaked out by the whole humster thing? Weird. I wonder who first thought of the idea and why?

Renae said...

Bruce says that my comment was racist. I didn't intend it that waym just as a general insult on his intelligence.

Anonymous said...

Hold on now- Chimpanzees are actually quite intelligent. They use tools and have a complex social structure and even demostrate problem solving skills. I really think you are being quite unfair to the chimpanzees to imply that they are as dumb as Barak H.O.

J

timpani76 said...

How come people have been comparing George W to a monkey for years, but people start with Obama (because of the ears! Hello!) and suddenly we are all racists?

Brad Carter said...

False edits in wikipedia are fun. Making people dumber is FUNNY!

Eyepoke said...

I also read PLA's article in Wikipedia a couple times in the last few weeks, as well as the status and discussion side of that page.

...shopin' online for deals on readable writable media...

Brad Carter said...

PLA's entry used to be one of my favorites to put false claims into. There was some really hilarious stuff in there for awhile, but then Wikipedia started threatening to take it down, so I quit.