Daily GUIDE-ance:

Wednesday, April 7, 2004

Continuing with the Science/ geek theme

So the other morning I woke up and started off my day, and on the drive to work, I found myself pondering how to get to Mars. This is a problem I return to periodically, but this time I really started planning and generating ideas. I found it hard to concentrate when I got to work, until I wrote my ideas down.

The problems with a manned Mars mission are mostly that you have to be gone at least 3 years. That's 3 years worth of food, air, water, fuel that you have to take with you or produce on the way, not to mention three years of unexpected emergencies you have to anticipate. Also about 2 years of that is travel time (a year there and a year back) and the havoc two years of zero gravity will play on a persons muscular system is nothing to sneeze at either.

So since that morning a week or so ago I have been going over this stuff in my mind and on paper in the shower, as I go to sleep, when I'm supposed to be working, and during the first session of general conference, (after the solemn assembly stuff- I was not totally inattentive).

Then yesterday this 60 minutes special popped up on planned missions to Mars and it was quite... serendipitous.

So someday I am going to blog ad nauseum about how to get people to Mars. Not tonight- need to sleep. But I don't think you can do like the Apollo missions and just send a small crew in one ship. I think you need a small fleet of ships, and a crew of like at least a dozen people, but I thinking more likely around 30. You need pilots, computer experts, medical people. And ships, I am thinking a couple dozen of them. 3-4 with fake gravity (centrifugal motion) for living quarters, another 3-4 strictly for cargo, 4-5 small ships for shuttling between the bigger ships in space, 6-8 ships designed just for landings and take offs, 2-3 large ships designed not to support life in space, but designed to land on Mars and support life for the year or so on the planet. And possibly 1-2 ships that are just power plants. Yeah... (rubs hands together) I have been thinking a lot about this one. But I am not going to spell it all out now in disorganized chaos. More later.

Peace out yo!

Trent- come live on Mars with me!

The difference between a warrior and a thug is cunning and intelligence.

12 comments:

timpani76 said...

Are you hoping to get into NASA with these ideas? Or is this like an idle sort of hobby? Just curious, feel free to boggle our minds with your Marsy stuff.

Renae said...

My mind is so incredibly mundane and simple!! You make me feel like a moron. I like to listen to you, but I have never given how to get to Mars 2 seconds thought. I'm not even sure if I care if anyone ever goes. It's interesting, but is it worth the expense? Who will fund it? Taxes? Yikes!! Now I need to go and think about the things that I think about. Um, what's for breakfast? I'm a truly boring person!

Renae said...

I meant that I need to contemplate the kind of things that I think about. We could all do with a bit more dreaming.

Anonymous said...

You know, I have to say, Renae, that if Bruce’s chronic weakness is the yo-yo effect, yours is that you tend to sell yourself short. (I wonder if this is a side effect of having lived your whole life in the same house as either me or Bruce, the two most blatantly arrogant people I know). Everyone who knows you knows that you are quite smart, and just about as far from boring as a person can get. Amen everyone?

J

Anonymous said...

I haven’t seriously thought about a career in space since I was about 14. It would be pretty much the ultimate engineering thing to do, but a) I don’t know that I have the resume for it at this point, b) I really don’t think I want to work as hard as I suspect NASA would want me to and c) I don’t really want to relocate to Florida. If I thought I had a serious hope of getting a job there though it might be tempting. (Speaking of Jobs Liz and I have some NEWS.)

Oh and BTW I actually agree with Renae about the cost of going to Mars.

J

timpani76 said...

ARE YOU GOING TO SPILL THE NEWS OR WHAT????

Anonymous said...

See liz's blog for NEWS.

;)

timpani76 said...

Okay, about thinking about Mars, in regards to Renae's comment. I think that I have thought about what it would be like to go to Mars just because there have been like ten movies where Mars plays in, and it seems like in all the sci-fi shows and books there seems to be the idea that Mars will be colonized, like it is a given or something. But, other than being bombarded with it by one of my favorite genres, I have not myself thought about how we would get there, what we would need etc.

Plus, I wonder about Renae's idea too about the cost because if we do this Mars thing I think that MANY MANY countries should be helping to foot the bill, not just the good ole US of A.

Anonymous said...

To tell the truth, I can't think of a single real great reason for going to Mars other than curiosity plus it would be really really really cool.

I don't know that I really want any governments, including USA's, involved in the project. Governments screw everything up, as a general rule. (have you ever been to the DMV?) I'd like to see private funding and research do the whole thing I think. Corporations, and Universities and Rich space nuts.

J

Bruce said...

the one nice thing about footing the bill your self is that you own the ALL the rights to the project and can then sell every thing you have learned. there are other ways to sim gravity though. magnets in the floor and metal in the clothes come to mind. and for any one who doesnt know(this means you renae) my wife totally rocks. her life(like any other stay at home mother) SEEMS mundane, only because the same problems have to be delt with every day(ie. breakfast).

Anonymous said...

today's insult is particularly ironic, as it seems to have happened to me in so many ways lately!

J

Anonymous said...

Alright I am interested. How else do you make fake gravity, besides spinning and wearing magnets?

J